The Gwydyr Forest is one of the older Forests of Wales and covers an area of 72 square miles. Much of it was planted in the early 1920's. A certain amount of natural tree growth on these hills existed thousands of years ago.
It stretches from the villages of Dolwyddelan to Trefriw including Betws-y-Coed and Llanrwst where the Forest Office is situated at Gwydyr Uchaf.
The workings of the forest have changed considerably with more emphasis being put into recreation, cycle routes, bridleways and picnic spots.
There is still timber production being carried on each day and as more areas get clear felled by chain saw they are planted up again with more native species but still include the fast growing commercial crop of conifers.
There are numerous lakes all of which are accessible by footpath and fishing is available from the local club.
Today you can still see the old remains of mine workings . Parc mine was the largest producing lead and zinc.
Picture by Malcolm Street